As the end of the year is nearly upon us, the grade five teachers wanted to remind all of the grade five students about cybersafety. Cybersafety and safe internet practise still applies when you are on holidays.
Our school is currently participating in the eSmart program – which is all about being safe online.
Here are a few reminders:
- Remember that you should behave the same way towards others whether you are online or offline. This rule applies when you are using apps like iMessage over the holidays. Remember that what you’re writing should be appropriate and purposeful. No “Hey…” messages.
- Never give out any personal information over the internet, no matter how truthful you think the person you are talking to is.
- If you’re unsure of what you’re viewing or if someone has sent you a message that is inappropriate make sure you tell a trusted adult what is going on. They will be able to help you.
- Always keep your password safe!
- Social networking sites can be fun and useful.. if you use them appropriately! Make sure if you are using these sites that your parents know you are using them. Sit down with them and teach them how to use them properly. And remember.. a lot of these sites have age restrictions where you need to be aged 13+ to register. If you aren’t 13 yet, then you definitely should not be using it.
Remember to be conscientious about these things for the rest of the year and over the holidays!!
If you or your parents want to learn more about cybersafety they can visit the cybersafety section on the 5A blog
The grade five team
Miss Anderson, Miss Tomat, Mrs. Morgan and Mr. Smith