Curious about cubes and all things cubic

In 5M we have been looking at Volume – the amount of space that a 3D figure takes up.

There have been some fantastic Explain Everything slideshows with annotated photos showing different rectangular prisms that all have a volume of 12 cubic centimetres.

We have learnt that the volume of a rectangular prism can be calculated using multiplication: length x width x height.

This lesson you are going to make cubes with MAB minis.

Step 1. Make a cube using the least amount of MAB minis possible. What is its volume?

Take a photo and annotate with the dimensions and volume in your Explain Everything Volume project.

Step 2. How many MAB minis do you need to add to your cube to make the next largest cube possible. What is its volume now?

Take a photo and annotate with the dimensions and volume.

Step 3. What will be the volume of the next largest cubes you could make? Build 2 more and record them in the Explain Everything Volume project.

Step 4. Look for a pattern in the dimensions and the volume.

Your chance to comment: What do you think the dimensions and volume of the next cube in the sequence will be? How do you know?

7 thoughts on “Curious about cubes and all things cubic

1. Dear 5m,

I think the volume of the next cube would be 5 x 5 x 5 which would be 125cm3. I worked it out because I know 5 x 5 = 25 x 4 = 100 so you just need to add one more 25 so it’s 125.

From Cara

2. Dear 5M,

I think that the next cube would be 5x5x5 which makes the volume 125cm3. Then 6x6x6, 7x7x7, 8x8x8 etc.

From Lizzy

3. Dear 5M,

I think the next cube will be 5x5x5. The volume is 125cm3. I knew because each time the size will be 6x6x6 so I worked out 5x5x5= 125cm3.

From Renee 🙂

4. Dear 5M,

Mrs Morgan can you PLEASE, apdate the homework on the blog so I can finish it by Monday.

From Ashlee.