Silverback Gorilla Fact File

We now know that Ivan is a Silverback Gorilla.

To understand the main character Ivan, research the male Western Lowland Gorilla. You are to use your iPad to both gather your information and draw upon your creative technology skills to present the research task. Yes, you can even select an appropriate app of choice to complete the final task to share with your peers. Think about the text type structure you will employ to communicate the following required facts:

1. Habitat
  2. Diet
  3. Size and features
  4. Geographic range
  5. Behaviour
  6. Lifespan
  7. Status
  8. Threats
  9. Protection

How is Ivan’s life different now that he lives in captivity? Choose one of the dot points above to guide your answer. For example – how is his diet different to the diet of a wild gorilla?

19 thoughts on “Silverback Gorilla Fact File

1. Dear 5m,

This is my answer.

1. Ivan’s life is different in captivity because he has no threats.

From Cara

2. My answer is…

Ivan’s life is different now he is captivity because he has not as many threats to him like dying of hunger and being killed or hurt by other animals which means that their lifespan will be longer.

From Lizzy

3. While in his domain in the mall Ivan is safer than he is in the wild where there can be poachers who would hunt him and kill him but when he’s in a secure domain no one can get to him out of there.

From James

4. Ivan’s habitat is way different to a wild gorilla’s habitat because Ivan lives in a cage, whereas a wild gorilla lives in a thick forest.

5. Dear 5M,

Ivan’s life has changed now that he lives in captivity because when he lived in the wild he didn’t draw and now that he lives in captivity he does.

From Dan

6. Dear 5M,
    Hi, here is my answer to the question.
    Ivan’s life is different now because he lives in captivity because his diet would’ve changed. Instead of eating delicious, tropical fruits, seeds and leaves, he would be eating a few bananas and some other fruit. So he won’t be getting the same nutrition.

From Jack

7. Dear 5M,
    How is Ivan’s life different now that he is in captivity?
    His food is different because he gets given his food now but in the wild he has to hunt for his food so it’s whole.

From Ashlee.

8. Dear 5M,
    This are my answer,
    Ivan’s life is different because in the wild male silver backs fight other males to breed with females. In captivity Ivan’s life is different because their are no other males

9. These are my questions.

1.I think that he feels sad because he is in an enclosure and not in the wild like the other gorillas.

10. Dear Mrs Morgan

Ivan’s diet is different because in the wild animals hunt their own food but Ivan gets given food from other people.

11. Dear 5m,
    How is Ivan’s life different ow that he lives in captivity?
    There is no threats in captivity because there are no way out and and they are in their own domain.

From Joel g

12. This is my first answer: Ivan’s life is different because in the wild he had to forage for food and in captivity they feed him, also in the wild he had to fight off other gorillas.

From Jackson D

13. My answer,

Ivan’s life is different now because he can’t get his own food and there is no territory or females to protect.

From Morgan

14. Here is my answer

Ivan’s life is different in captivity than the wild because he has no threats

Sincerely Tom H

15. Ivan in the wild might eat different food but now he is in captivity he eats fruit.

16. Here is my answer:

Ivan’s life is different now that he lives in a domain because of the habitat and he can’t just walk around in the jungle. He behaves more because there is not enough space to walk around so he sits still most of the time.
    He also draws with crayons to make pictures and he did not do that in the wild.

17. Ivan’s live is different from his natural habitat because there are no other males to fight with with means that his behavior is not as high as he would be in the wild. His diet would be different because in the wild he would have to hunt and in his domaine he can’t hunt for food so his diet would be different because its not the right foods when he would eat in the wild.

From Nicola

18. Dear mrs Morgan
    Ivan’s life has changed because he has no other males to fight and he does not normally get free food or crayons with paper and he is in a domain with walls like a cell.

From Callum

19. My answer is Ivan’s life is different because now that he lives in his domain, he has nothing real. It is all fake.An example is the waterfall painted on his wall.It doesn’t have any water in it.If he lived in the wild, he would have to be very cautious because poachers would be hunting him. Now that he is in his domain, he is safe and secured from hunters and poachers. Also, he is safe from all of the dangerous things out in the world.